Monday 2 January 2012

Mr. Inventor For Valentine's Day

Hi Bloggers.

You know how much I love Mr. Inventor and I'm always looking for more ways to use him on cards. Well, I decided to see if he would work on a Valentine's Card - I think he does.


I used Sue Wilson's idea with the Spellbinders Heart Circles. I cut one out in black, white and red. I cut in between each heart on the red one so that I could fold them forward giving more dimension. I layered each die cut on top of each other offsetting each one slightly so that the previous layer showed through. I edged the inside of the top red piece with some faux stitching using my Inkssentials White Pen.

I stamped Mr. Inventor from the Creative Expressions Vintage Inventor Stamp Set onto some white card using Jet Black Archival Ink and cut him out leaving a slight border all round. I swiped some Barn Door Distress Ink onto my Creative Expressions Craft Sheet. I added a little water to the ink with my paint brush and painted the areas shown on Mr. Inventor. I added him to my heart circles with 3D foam.


For the background paper I used the Stamps by Judith Stubbie AAA-04 Dots available in the UK here or in the USA here. I stamped it randomly over my white card using Barn Door Distress Ink and edged it with Barn Door using Cut & Dry Foam.

I cut 2 borders out of black card using the Spellbinders Parisian Accents border die. I added this to my stamped background offsetting the borders slightly and leaving a gap between them of approx 5mm.

I dyed some American Seam Binding using Barn Door Distress Ink and dried it thoroughly.

I added a strip of Hi-Tack Tape along the gap between my Parisian Accents borders and ruffled a piece of the dyed ribbon along it. I tied a very tatty bow using 2 lengths of the ribbon and nestled it into by ruffled ribbon. The American Seam Binding is a much stiffer ribbon than the Vintage Ribbon and by scrunching it up when drying it, it becomes really tatty. The flower was made from a Marianne Designs die and was the perfect size for my bow. I added a couple of Creative Expressions Black Pearl Decorative Stick Pins.


I added a swirl made from Creative Expressions Pearlescent PVA Black Pearl and 3 hearts from the waste from the Heart Circles die. I finished the card off by doing some faux stitching with my Inssentials White Pen.

I'm entering this card into the following challenges -
Penny Black & More - Love and Hearts
Stampavie & More - Hearts
Crafters Companion - Love is in the Air
Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes
Make It Monday #70

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you've enjoyed your visit.

Julia.

15 comments:

  1. What clever use of the image Julia and how perfect for a male Vantines card which are always so difficult.

    Thank you so much for sharing with us at Penny Black and More Challenge this month, good luck and wishing you a Happy new Year.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great masculine valentines card, fab. I love S Wilson' work - I really want to do more of her ideas this year.
    Happy New year and thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More this month.
    Lynn x
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunner Julia . Love the dramatic colour combination.Love your work with the diecuts . thanks for sharing on Make it Monday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this on make it monday, what a fab card x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is fantastic Julia.. I LOVE the layering technique..Saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Julia.. Saw this fantastic card on MIM..Faye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous combination of colours, great creation, thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card love the red and black so sexy just right for valentines! Popped over from MIM to get a good look at this XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card Julia, love the colour combo it's really striking.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp for our anything goes challenge.
    Happy New Year
    hugs Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is absolutely gorjuss, black/red is my most fav and your detail is amazing, love it!!
    Saw this at MIM and had to get a closer view.
    lotsa luv

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of details, love the colour combo. Found you on make it Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab!

    Thanks for joining in the Crafter's Companion Challenge this month.

    Happy New Year

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice classy layout. Saw your project on Make it Monday and had to come over and take a closer look.
    TFS
    Paul
    Crafty Blogocks
    DT Member for Catch The Bug

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I love how you've used blacks and reds. Your design is gorgeous. Saw it on MIM and had to come in for a closer look. Glad I did. TFS. Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete

Only positive comments please!